Friday, May 20, 2011

Harry's battle with the dragon is well presented on film

Speaking of The Goblet of Fire, I have to admit, I love the way the filmmakers handled the beginning and ending of Harry's battle with the dragon in the first task of the Tri-Wizard's Cup.

I'm not fond of the over-long middle part, where the dragon chases him all over the rooftops of Hogwarts, but I think the opening scenes (until Harry leaps aboard his Firebolt) and the final bit (where the anxious crowd suddenly cheers as Harry zooms into view over the edge of the stadium) are expertly done.

I thought J.K.'s version of how Harry outsmarted the dragon was a more clever fictional creation (Harry lures her carefully away from the golden egg then, when she's far enough away, speeds past her and grabs the egg), I can understand why the filmmakers decided to revise the scene to make it more visually exciting.

They've created a genuinely heart-stopping battle between boy and dragon, even if they go a little overboard in the middle section. And they manage to capture the anxiety of the crowd really well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment