Monday, July 6, 2015

Harry Potter and the Costco Cashier

In line at Costco. Making sure the cashier notices that I have a case of ginger ale in the bottom of my cart, hidden by the massive Costco bags I bring with me every week.


"Thanks for pointing that out," she says, scanning the code from the ginger ale. "You wouldn't believe the stuff people try to sneak out of here without paying."


Me, surprised. "Oh, does it happen that often?"


She nods, laughing. "It happens all the time but what is even more amazing is how often they're successful... with really really big items."


"Like what? Air conditioners and things like that?"


She nods again. "Air conditioners. TVs. It's really crazy. I don't know how they get these things past all the security."


And then she makes the comment that endears her to me forever.


"It's like they have an Invisibility Cloak or something!"


Awesome. Harry Potter and the Costco Cashier.


And, of course, I am immediately reminded of the fact that, when Hermione used the Invisibility Cloak to grab food from a grocery store in The Deathly Hallows, she took great care to deposit the money to pay for the items she was taking into an open cash drawer before she left.


If only we would all be as honest as the good Ms. Granger.

No comments:

Post a Comment