Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Harry Potter and the Deathly Sketch-Com Show

Is it just me (and maybe that I'm old) or is Saturday Night Live simply not funny any more?

Daniel Radcliffe was the guest host on SNL this past weekend, something I didn't know until a colleague told me yesterday. She also told me that he was in, not surprisingly, a Harry Potter sketch on the show and that it wasn't too bad.

So I found it on the web and watched it. She was right, it wasn't bad. It was a single joke played over and over again but it wasn't bad.

I thought the Snape impersonation was pretty good, in fact, especially the voice, and I liked the Draco Malfoy dude too. And the idea that Harry might find life after Voldemort a bit boring had occured to me too in the past so I didn't mind that the whole four-minute sketch was taken up with character after character confronting the 28-year-old Harry about being unable to move on with his life.

Then I tried to watch the other sketches from the show that featured Radcliffe. I used the term "tried" on purpose. I tried to watch them but I just couldn't force myself to see any of them through to the end. Terrible. Poorly written, poorly acted. Not funny.

Maybe I'm just too old for it now but I seem to recall the Ackroyd, Belushi, Radner years as being a heck of lot funnier, and a great deal clever and more intelligent, than the current version.

Funny, I'm still young enough to appreciate Harry Potter but I'm too old for the modern SNL.

No comments:

Post a Comment