Sunday, February 19, 2012

He Who Must Not Be Stored

My Christmas reading list is thirteen books long so I haven't been spending much time with Harry and friends in the past two months.

Although I miss Rowling's world (and I was in the middle of The Goblet of Fire when the gift parade began in December), I'm wondering if some time away might actually be a good thing. As I mentioned several times when I began reading the novels in their French translations, sometimes it's helpful to approach something you know really well from a new angle.

Or, to put it another way, sometimes you learn to appreciate your close friends even better when you endure an extended separation from them.

I am also avoiding addressing my withdrawal symptoms by slipping a Blu Ray in and watching one of the film adaptations. Yes, it would be a quick hit of Harry Potter but I really want my next exposure to be the real thing, the pure Rowling product.

That doesn't mean, of course, that I don't get a thrill when I see Rowling's world sliding its way into other areas of pop culture. For example, the other night while I was watching a "Storage Wars" marathon on A&E, I was tickled to hear Brandi tell the audience that they don't speak Dave Hester's name out loud: "He's sort of like our Voldemort," she told the camera.

"Storage Wars" is one of my new addictions and, any time you combine Harry Potter with one of my addictions, I'm happy. Thanks Brandi!

No comments:

Post a Comment