Thursday, February 23, 2012

J.K. Rowling's next adventure in writing

I read on the CNN website that J.K. Rowling is planning to publish what they are calling an "adult novel". She says it's a significant departure in her writing from the Harry Potter series.

Sounds good to me. I'm interested to see how she does with all-new subject matter and a different narrative approach. If she's as good a writer as I think she is, the book could be great.

My question is, however, why are people so quick to focus on the fact that the new book will be an "adult novel", as if that's something she's never done before? In my opinion, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was, itself, an adult novel. It dealt with mature themes, contained graphic scenes and featured a complex narrative structure using sophisticated vocabulary.

Despite the fact that it grew out of a children's story (and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was definitely a children's story), The Deathly Hallows was for all intents and purposes an adult novel.

The question is not whether or not J.K. Rowling can write at an adult level -- we already know she can. The question is, can Rowling create another set of characters and situations that are as compelling as those presented in the Harry Potter novels?

I'm interested to find out. Aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment