Monday, July 14, 2014

The death throes of The Deathly Hallows

Seven years ago, I purchased my hard-cover edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows the day it hit the bookstore shelves.

Today, after more readings than I can count, my original hard-cover edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows split at the spine and began to fall apart at the seams.

It's not about the quality of the novel; it's about the quality of the book.

So, with a gift-card I recently received for my birthday, I marched out to my local bookstore and bought a new, paperback copy. This will be my official reading copy, until it eventually falls apart too.

At some point, I will buy a complete set of the hard-cover books as my show copies, my bookshelf editions, but not right now. I'm considering trying to find English first editions of each -- and that will take a lot of time and a lot more money.

For now, I will be a little bit in awe of the fact that J.K. Rowling wrote a book that I like so much I literally read it to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment