Thursday, August 6, 2015

"Fantastic Beasts" might just be fantastic

I have just read on an online news outlet that Colin Farrell has joined the cast of the upcoming Potterworld movie "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them".


Which, of course, led me to recognize that this new Potter movie is currently in development and I have been paying absolutely no attention to it.


I am a massive fan of the Harry Potter books, as this blog by itself would attest, but I can't seem to get myself wound up about the idea of a new movie based not on a Rowling-written book but on a Rowling-written screenplay.


And maybe I'm wrong not to be more excited.


I became increasingly disappointed with as each of the original Harry Potter movies was released. Although my discontentment was based on a number of factors, one of the main issues I had was that the movies (especially the later ones) failed to convey the depth and beauty of Rowling's art.


I think my lack of interest in this new movie is a hangover from the old antipathy. If it's a movie and it's related to Harry Potter, goes my thought process, it's bound to be a disappointment.


This recent news item (and my blah response to it) has caused me to pause to reflect and that's a good thing.


"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", if its screenplay is indeed penned by J.K. Rowling, would represent our first opportunity to see what this immensely talented writer can do with an entirely new literary form.


She wrote wonderful books. It was someone else entirely who then wrote increasingly awful screenplays from those books.


It is entirely possible that, in approaching this new story as a movie script from the off, Rowling will show the same kind creative talent for the screenplay that she showed for the novel form.


So maybe I should be more excited about the upcoming release of "Fantastic Beasts".


Wait a minute: I think I already am!

No comments:

Post a Comment