Monday, May 2, 2011

The Fifth Book's the Hardest

In preparation for the release of the eighth movie this summer, I am re-reading J.K. Rowling's seven novels, in order, from start to finish. It's a ritual I began to follow when I was anxiously awaiting the release of the sixth book several years ago. Each time a new novel or movie was scheduled for release, I'd re-read the entire series to remind myself of the magnificence of J.K.'s art.

I'm now well into the fifth novel, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and I have to admit: I always approach this book with a lot of trepidation. I find it the toughest of the seven novels to read, by far.

Why? Because J.K. does such a fantastic job of depicting Harry's isolation and the claustrophobia of his life at Hogwarts during the Umbridge year. I actually find myself getting angry and upset reading this book, both for and at Harry. I have to remind myself over and over again that he's still a kid at this point, that it cannot be easy at all to be going through what he's facing.

I hate and love this book, both at the same time. I hate it because it is such an emotional trial to read. I love it because, well, it takes some fantastic writing to make a reader react so strongly to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment