Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ron Weasley gives himself away

I've just gotten to the part of The Deathly Hallows where, having learned that Ginny, Neville and Luna had broken into the headmaster's office to try to steal the Sword of Gryffindor, Harry and his two companions have their first conversation with the portrait of Phineas Nigellus Black that Hermione took from the house on Grimmauld Place.

I find this an interesting conversation. When Phineas calls Ginny a "silly girl", Ron immediately tells him to "shut up about my sister". A natural response, to be sure, but also a real bonehead move on Ron's part. Here they have gone to great lengths to protect the Weasley family from persecution by convincing the entire wizarding world that Ron is home sick from school (and NOT hunting Horcruxes with Harry) and Ron goes and blows his own cover with that single exclamation.

What I've realised is that this should have been a clue to me as a reader that Snape is not evil after all. Ron gives himself away to Phineas, who is in contact with Snape and yet there are no negative repercussions to Ron or his family. Had I been reading the book carefully the first time, this fact (as well as the fact that Snape sent Ginny, Neville and Luna to Hagrid for their punishment, knowing Hagrid is a member of the Order of the Phoenix), should have been enough to make me wonder if Snape was really as evil as he was presented to be.

Too bad I was so caught up in the excitement of the novel to notice these hints. I guess that means J.K. did a good job writing the book, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment