Friday, May 6, 2011

Harry Potter at Beauxbatons?

I've recently come upon the idea of trying to improve my French by reading my favourite books in their French-language translations. Imagine my surprise (and pleasure) at finding the first two Harry Potter novels, in French, at our local used book store, the Owl's Nest, for about a third of the cover price!

And in perfect condition, I might add.

I snapped them up. Both Harry Potter a l'ecole des sorciers and Harry Potter et la chambre des secrets are translated by Jean-Francois Menard and published by Gallimard Jeunesse. Each features a really neat cover painting by Jean-Claude Gotting, as you can see in the photo.

Now I can enjoy Harry Potter in numerous different forms: the books in English, the movies in English, the books in English on CD and the books in French. I'll have to see if my Blu-Ray copies of the movies have French soundtracks too.

But don't worry, from what I can see, the French version of the books don't have Harry and his friends attending Beauxbatons! It's still Hogwarts all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment