Tuesday, June 28, 2011

All I ask is a quiet theatre...

I watched the trailer again. Actually, I watched both trailers again: the original one for both parts of The Deathly Hallows and the new one for Part 2.

The last movie looks awesome. I love the fact that the dragon at Gringott's is in, that the escape from the Room of Requirement is in, that Snape's memories are in and that Molly Weasley gets her chance to shine in battle.

I wonder if they've included the scene with Dumbledore in the phantom King's Cross near the end. I think they have but, in a moment of surprising consideration, they left it out of the trailer so that anyone who hasn't read the books will be surprised when they see it in the film.

Several people have asked me if I plan to go to the first showing of the first day. They know I'm a huge fan and just naturally assume that I will. At this point, I don't intend to go to see it at all that first weekend.

Why? Because the first time I see it I want to be able to focus and enjoy it with no distractions. And it will no doubt be packed at every showing on the opening weekend. Packed with people who will talk through the movie, continually get up to get snacks, crinkle their wrappers and do all kinds of other things that will drive me crazy.

That's exactly what happened to me for Part 1. I went to see it on the Saturday (the second day) and I sat in a packed theatre, surrounded by idiots, and just got more and more angry rather than enjoying the film.

If I do go on that first weekend (and I'm not so sure I'll be strong enough to resist, in spite of my concerns), I'll probably go to the first matinee on Sunday. I think that showing has the best chance of being free of irritants.

No comments:

Post a Comment