Monday, June 13, 2011

Making sure Neville appears in the seventh movie

I talked a bit about Neville Longbottom in yesterday's blog. He's an interesting character and I like the way J.K. has handled the growth in his confidence and abilities throughout the seven novels.

That's why I think it's too bad that Neville has such a small role in the first half of The Deathly Hallows. I understand why it was necessary to do this (with the focus on Harry, Hermione and Ron on the run, very few other characters had prominent roles) but that doesn't mean I don't miss Neville.

The decision to split the book into two parts for the purpose of the movies (which I think was a good one, by the way) serves to emphasize his absence. The scene on the Hogwarts Express is the only one in which Neville (played so well by Matthew Lewis) appears and it was an add-in by the film-makers, just to get Neville and several others a little screen time in that seventh movie.

I'm usually pretty critical of the scenes Stephen Kloves et al chose to invent in the films but I don't mind that one. I'd hate to see such an important character shut out of the movie altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment